Friday 4 May 2007

On Contentment.

On Contentment.


For me in recent years the issue of contentment has came to my attention on several occasions, and each time as i ponder upon it, i do understand a bit more about what it all means. In today's post I'll be introducing partially what the Bible says about how we should live our lives in contentment. I'll be using more general Biblical principles from Scriptural References, and yeah hopefully as you read His Word, things will start to be clearer for you as well, and life will be placed in better perspective. =)


Scriptural References:

Proverbs 30:7-9
“Two things I ask of you, O LORD; do not refuse me before I die: Keep falsehood and lies far from me; give me neither poverty nor riches, but give me only my daily bread. Otherwise I may have too much and disown you and say, 'Who is the LORD?' Or I may become poor and steal, and so dishonor the name of my God.

Philippians 4:11-13
I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through him who gives me strength.

1 Timothy 6:6-7
But godliness with contentment is great gain. For we brought nothing into the world, and we can take nothing out of it.


What is contentment really? Does it mean one has to live life of complacency, totally dependant on how circumstances drive you, how it tosses you about live the waves of the sea? There is much said about contentment in the Bible, and i've picked up a few verses that teach us to begin to see how we can learn to be content in and with our lives.

Firstly, in my own life in more recent years i have been through and still am going through times of difficulties, which has led me to be unable to achieve the many things i had set my heart to do, with definitely repeated disappointments because of all of this.

So these has led me so always question, “Why?”. Why do I do all these things in the first place? Does it even matter? For am I to do all these things that seems purposeful while i'm living on this earth, but yet is worth nothing once i pass on in life? Am I to seek to establish legacies on earth? And even so if I do manage to, and do gain the recognition, fame, power, money that society so treasures, for what purpose will all this give me? Will it help me to learn the meaning of my life? Will i have lived my life in a purposeful manner? Will I be able to speak on the last breath on my life to say, “Yes, I have lived my life in a purposeful and meaningful manner. And i will do it all over again if the choices are given to me once again.(A Non-regretful, and peaceful attitude?)”

What I feel that the LORD has taught me in my trials, is to really learn to be thankful. To be thankful that God our provider has given me so much in my life: (1)people in my life to love and to be loved by, (2)opportunities in my life to experience the pleasures of life(in a balanced manner) with these people, and (3)opportunities in my life to learn about the many different things that God our Creator has made on earth, which through keen observation we start to appreciate that yes the LORD our God is one who is so vast in knowledge and power.

Why do I say that learning to be thankful is important? I feel it is important for me as in times of trouble, and repeated disappointment, I tend to: (1) start brooding about things(thinking more negatively), (2) become more inward looking focusing excessively upon these circumstances(and not look out for the needs of others around me), and (3) despair after seeing my resources depleting continually with the “bottom of the glass in sight”. In fact the desperation almost seems like a inward, downward spiral that will ultimately lead me to totally lose meaning in life, in some sense. Hence it is key to address the need to be thankful as part of contentment, as it truly puts us in the right perspectives. As a Christian, to appreciate that we are man and God is the God of the universe, the King of kings and the Lord of Lords, the Alpha and Omega, He is omnipotent, and His sovereignty and provision in our lives hence becomes unquesitonable in the light of this. And this definitely brings me comfort. The other fact is when we are thankful we also start to realise that yes, God has given us so much more that we have yet to take notice, He has met our needs and we really need not worry about tomorrow. And this being said I have realised in the light of being thankful, to learn to treasure the people in my life, and the opportunities given to me as well.

The other part of contentment that I have learnt in my life is really learning how to be faithful, as a servant of God. To be faithful for all the opportunities that He has given me, to be a good steward of every resource that He has entrusted to me. When I say all this, the strongest impression upon my mind is truly learning to love others. And for those who know me, you have frequently heard me say this, and I will yet say it again for I find it really so important. We learn what love truly is from the love that God has shown towards us, and from here we hence learn to love Him and love others as well, as He guides us to. And by far i find most lacking in today's society that I live in, in busy busy city Singapore, is that fact that everyone is caught up with the busyness of their lives, and there are so many people in pain and hurt that are being ignored. And Christian brothers and sisters, i do ask that you seek the LORD to teach you how to learn to love these people with thoughts, words and deeds. For if love is “shown” without deeds, then what “showing” of love is that? As for the motivations of your heart, if you are concern that you may be loving with a selfish motive, I ask that you desire to walk closer with the LORD in your daily life, and do ask Him to lead your heart as well, that you will learn to purify your heart, and be able to learn to love in a manner that will please Him and bring glory to our Father God as well.

In Summary, contentment is something that is really important, especially in our society in Singapore that creates alot of striving for treasure of this world that will not matter in time. So I hope that you do start thinking along the lines of “what truly matters in life?”. In this short lesson i took the issue of contentment in terms of: (1) being thankful for what we are given, and (2) being faithful with what we are given as well.

I hope that this short lesson has been helpful to you, and I apologise if it has seemed rather sketchy and disorganised. I will try my best to improve on things in time to come. Take care and God bless~ =)

In His love,
Jon

No comments: